Saturday 13 September 2014

You're hot and you're cold, you're yes and you're no...

Oh well, then, here we are...

So I arrived today to Scotland, and that was okay, nothing special. We took the bus to Edinburgh, because in case you didn't know, my dad and his brother (my uncle AND godfather) are here with me. I'm very glad, for I'm not sure I could've made it this far alone. So yes, we went there to check-in their hotel and then go to Stirling, where I'm staying and studying, to help me move in.
And that's the moment in which we turned into some kind of Odisseus to get here. Train? "But that only runs to the station, not to uni. There's a direct bus there". Ok, we go to the bus stop "There are no straight buses to the campus." "Where are you going?" "To the bus station in Stirling. You can take a bus to uni there". "Sounds fine. Ok".
BAD MISTAKE. HUGE. HUMONGOUS MISTAKE. The f****** bus took 2h and 20min to get here, when it takes only 40 minuts by car. RIDICULOUS. So we got here later than I expected, and we asked the driver again and said "yeah, if you want to take shorter, you should maybe take the train, it takes about an hour". WELL, THANK YOU VERY MUCH, but it's a bit too late now.
Anyway, we went to uni. Apparently, we really worked hard to become Odysseus, because it took me around 50 minutes to collect my room keys.
Tip: People, if you don't know the way somewhere or you are not sure, JUST SAY IT. Don't confuse me and send me the opposite direction just because! (So you can guess why it took me so long to do a thing that should've taken 15-20 minutes).
Then I got to my room and it's pretty big, so I'm happy. It's gonna be very hard for me to keep it tidy, although the size doesn't have anything to do with it :p
Now I'm all alone in my room...writin to you... but now FIRST IMPRESSIONS!
Scottish people are nice. No, they aren't. Ooooh, this person was so helpful! I love Scots. No, I don`t! Could you be more rude? And so on and so forth. Really, that's basically my head all day today:
"Awww, I love it so much here"
"MWAAAAAAAAAA, I miss my dogs and my house, and my hometown! And mommy, and sister, and friends! And my consort! And everything! I even miss ICELAND!!"
"Good Lord, this is so beautiful... and Scottish are so nice (as well as crazy and noisy in the buses...)"
"NOOOOOOOOO, I can't do this! I feel so homesick!!! I want to go back!!!!!!!!!!". (Specially when I had to deal with a bus driver that was so similar to Dwight, the funny and favourite weirdo from  "The Office", and just as stupid, I think)
"I'm so happy I took this decisition... it's a LIFE CHANGING DECISION"
"Iceland wasn't that bad"
THAT WAS IT. Agreed, Iceland was not bad... but it's Iceland. Wonderful memories, wonderful people and wonderful landscapes.. but honestly, if I had to stay longer, I could've gone mad. So when I started thinking that staying there would've been ok... I worried.
So I got in the bus to get back to campus, and then I talked to a random girl who is studying here too! She was so nice... and another girl joined the conversation.. And we got off the bus... and I got to my HUGE room. And I had trouble trying to log in the internet, so I knocked next door and a nice Brazilian girl helped me. (She went crazy when she saw how big my bedroom is)
And that's how I'm trying to do my way around here :) Just smile, and people will smile back.

And besides everything, I learnt things in Iceland. So if I feel that everything goes wrong... ÞETTA REDDAST ;)

P.S: I have no idea how the voting thing for the independency is going, but people are really taking it seriously wearing t-shirts, pins, stickers rooting for a "yes" or a "no". I tried to count during the long trip to Stirling and 'yes' hardly won. We'll see tomorrow :)

1 comment:

  1. Good luck in your new hometown! I'm proud of you! /Malinur

    ReplyDelete