Sunday 19 July 2015

Internship in London: Day one

So yep, I got an internship! YAYYYY!! And yep, it's in LONDON! Yaaay to that too, right? Well, not completely, since that means that I have to move to London for a week and leave Stirling, Alangrangers and more behind for 5 days. SUCH A PITY to have to abandon my confort zone to take part in an internship at FOREVER SPORTS! My favourite sports magazine in the UK :D
At the same time, I'm also working for Rucksacks Readers by assisting in their promotion on online platforms, also an internship so I'm very happy, I must say!

Like I said, this internship is in London, and here I am. The offices are placed in Mordor. No, not really, they're actually beyond Mordor. So you can imagine the journey to the hotel, because I was not willing to pay for a hotel in the city centre and spend 2h to the offices and 2h back every day, so I booked a room in Mordor, to be closer.

My journey began yesterday after work and having a wonderful dinner with Lara (we ate JAMÓN!) when I took the last train to Glasgow, because my flight in the morning was at 6:50, so I had to stay the night at the airport. No worries, I have a MASTER on spending nights at airports, although this time was tough because it was F****** FREEZING so I couldn't doze off at all. Anyway, I took my plane, headed to London (managed to sleep a bit during the flight) and when I get here... IT'S SUNNY AND WARM. Oh, so delicious. So when I got to Victoria station I just layed down on the grass and read Lady Chatterley's Lover, my loyal companion these days (either the real novel or the transcript of the trial, or anything related...). Because in case you didn't know, that's what my dissertation is about.

ANYWAYS after enjoying a few hours under the sunshine, I walked to Marble Arch, which is quite a walk (just because) and took the tube to Waterloo to meet... DOVILE!!!! Yeeeeeesssssshhh, after five years, FIVE YEARS!!! Unbelievable, and like nothing happened. Remembering those "special" lunches we had in Iceland... It was nice to have a short reunion.

So then I headed to Mordor, as I said, and... I LOVE IT. I love it here. It's wonderful, it's SPLENDID, MAGNIFICIENT. I think this place is in Surrey (I'm terrible at geography) and it feels like it's a little town inside London. The hotel is right beside the river Thames, and you can see it right over the road. So beautiful. Best part is that on the riverside there are soooo many bars and restaurants with tables and chairs outside, and people were sitting there enjoying the good weather, like if they were in Paradise. Or in Spain.
That actually made me feel a bit sad, because I wanted to join but it's a bit pathetic to do it alone... so I missed someone. This wouldn't have happened if I had my other half this year, Lara, especially because she misses the sun and the heat and she would've enjoyed this so much.
I actually just got home, changed my trousers for shorts, and walked out for a walk. It felt so good. I didn't feel even tired, which is weird considering my sleep depravation. I guess that sunshine really gives me energy and I could kept on. This area is so beautiful, really! So I've enjoyed my walk a lot. I even had ice-cream, because there was an ICE CREAM VAN parked there! And I never had had ice cream from a van like that, and this one had italian ice-cream. So... NOMNOM. I ordered chocolate and cookies, my favourite, but it was done... so I just had regular chocolate. BORING. But surprisingly, that was the only thing that went wrong today, which is odd. KNOCK ON WOOD, though. I hope it keeps like this.

Anyway, it feels strange to be able to understand the accent here. And that they don't thank by saying "cheers" and they don't call you "pal". Those wee Scottish things. But the sun is nice, SO I'M FINE, THANK YOU VERY MUCH. I'll have all those things back on Friday.
I've also noticed a difference in what we call in Spain "el ganao"(Literally, "livestock", but it has a meaning). There's a lot better (and more variety) of stock here. Which is also fun.

And here I show you some pictures from today. I will update you tomorrow with my first day, hopefully only good things.

The view from the front door of the hotel

I WAS WEARING SHORTS!!!!

Riverside

This got my attention and I checked the menu. They have patatas bravas. Gotta try them, probs tomorrow

More riverside

Church

ICE-CREAM VAAAAN!!!!

Velkominn í baenum okkar

Species not existant in Stirling, they were huge
The beginning of England, give us money


This could perfectly be Spain... Look at that garden.




So cuuuuuteeeeee

Just an idea of my birhtday present. If you make him add some dreadlocks, I'll be the happiest

1 comment: