Wednesday 1 October 2014

Of Mad and Men

 (This text goes to Silvia, because of her love and devotion to Don :p )


Today was the day. Today was THAT day, the day I was expecting for a few days now (and I'm sure there are more to come).
As you may know, because I mentioned before, we have to work on a publishing project of our own (so ideas are welcome!) and also a board that will function as an inspiration and motivation for the project. And when this was mentioned and shown... what did I think of? Yep, MAD MEN. I remembered that room, with Ginsberg, Peggy, Stanley sat at the table and thinking on designs... and maybe consuming suspicious substances.

But that's not all. We also have a marketing module, in which OF COURSE, I had to think of Mad Men, Don Draper, Roger Sterling, Peggy Olson and all of them. I can't listen to Marketing and Publicity lectures without thinking of them. It's so obvious, you can really relate what we are learning and how it works in the firm!

http://blog.wordnik.com/wp-content/uploads/mad-men-1024x768.jpg

But wait, there's more. We had a Design class today, which I actually enjoyed a lot. Might it be that I'll end up in books design after all? Time will tell, but today we talked about them. MAD MEN, the series. OH, YEAH. The day had come. It started with the teacher asking who watches the tv series. You know how many rised their hand? ... one person. And yeah, that person was me. I felt kind of a freak, but then the teacher mentioned something on the design timeline about publicity ethics that only I could understand :) That is that there were no ethics in advertising, basically...
BUT when I thought that there wouldn't be more, THERE IT WAS. A picture of an article on Don Draper/Jon Hamm. What a wonderful caption of this man, and what a fascinating layout of the article. I couldn't be happier: I was enjoying the lecture and one of my favourite shows was mentioned in class! I wish I could set the picture here so you could see what a piece of art it was, and the references that it suggests... if I find it, I will show it to you!

You might think that this not remarkable, or wondering why I talk about this in my blog. Well, it's about design, and it's about creating. I think there's no more creative series on tv at this current time than Mad Men. And also the fact that the dynamics on SCDP and a publishing house are kind of similar, and there are many other elements into cosideration. And I felt proud of myself for watching such an interesting and somehow productive tv show!

...I can only hope not to end up as Ginsberg...

No comments:

Post a Comment