Wednesday 21 January 2015

Edinburgh

Just to show that not everything in Stirling is about party and waterpolo, and that I also do interesting things (like attending lectures and such), I'm going to tell you a bit about my  last visit to Edinburgh.

Modern architecture for the Parliament, yeah.

I visited Edinburgh two years ago, and I feel in love with the city, that's a fact. Now that I live in Stirling, I have visited it again several times, and it keeps surprising me. I've been there like...6 times? Can't stop taking pictures every time! It's just wonderful!
(Well, Madrid still owns my heart, and that's
how it is...but if I decided to end terms with Madrid, I would definetely go for Edinburgh!)
I normally go always to the same tourist places: Edinburgh Castle, Royal Mile, Calton Hill, Wetherspoons... :p

But last time we visited the SCOTTISH PARLIAMENT! And it was sooooo cool! We went there just to, you know, visit the Parliament. Fun and interesting. What a surprise when we get in there and we were allowed to attend a debate that was going on! HOW COOL IS THAT? I don't think Lara was very amused, although at the end she found the visit rather interesting, but Kevin was so excited! Pretty understandable for a person who studied politics, I guess :p

We could see that apparently politicians don't always take their job seriously regardless the country they are from, there were probably 20 members there out of 129... The debate was on Emergency Services and Safety, a hot topic now probably due to what happened in Glasgow before New Year, along with other issues such as the Charles Hebdo attacks in Paris.

As I said before, the Scottish Parliament is formed by 129 members, and as in may 2011 the political parties represnted were the Scottish Nationali Party (69) , Labour Party (37), Conservative Party (15), Liberal-Democrats (5), Green (2) and other Independent parties (1).
Booklets in Spanish! Oh, sí! :D 

If you wonder what acts the Scottish Parliament has passed recently, some of them are:
-Community Care and Health Act (2002) to fulfill the necessities of the elderly.
-Freedom of Information Act (2002) which allows citizens to have access to info about public bodies.
-Smoking, Health and Social Care Act (2005) which forbids smoking in public places, such as bars and restaurants.
-Disabled Persons' Parking Places Act (2009) which ensures a parking place to disabled people only.
-Marriage and Civil Partnership Act (2014) or better said, GAY MARRIAGE! :D


And of course, after such a brain work we needed some coffee...and muffins. But I shared mine with Lara, so I wasn't too unhealthy!


So there you go, some intellectual content in my blog besides all the rambling I write about sometimes.
See you soon! I'm very creative lately, hopefully it will last long enough. It's quite embarrassing to have only 13 texts published on my blog after 4 months! :p

No comments:

Post a Comment