Sunday 23 November 2014

Rocking a ballad

You probably know, but just in case you hadn't heard, Foo Fighters are playing in Edinburgh next June 23rd. And YES, I GOT TICKETS. So yes, I'm attending the f****** concert of my life :D
I am not a very big fan of music, to be honest. Yes, I listen to music... and yes, I like listening to music. I have some favourites, but I'm not one of those who needs to have music playing constantly. Besides, I don't have a good ear for it anyway. This is a bit of a shame to say since I'm working in HMV, but hey! I love films and tv series! So that's something. I guess. (I hope).
I suppose that because I'm not that huge fan of music, I am very open to genres, but my favourite is hard-rock/metal. Although Spotify keeps surprising me...
So in this type of music, as you might know, there are not of soft, sweet, gentle ballads, but there are a few. And probably, because there are so few and they differ so much from the rest of the style of the band that plays it, they are loveable.
And the blog today is about those rock/metal ballads that I love listening to. There are many of them, but I will limit my list to my top 5 and then I will leave the comments open to participation:



5.b.-"Photograph"- Nickleback: Awwww... I feel so sorry for Nickleback... I believe they are not that bad, they keep me entertained with their music, although it's true that all their albums sound alike or follow the same pattern. But still, they are ok, even they are so much hated. This song might not be considered a ballad, though, just slightly slower than other songs. But I think of it as one.
Also I like the lyrics of this song. They make me think of my Erasmus in Iceland...





5.a.- "Hero of War"-Rise Against: I didn't really know where to place this one, it's one of my favourites, and very out of the known ones. Maybe if it didn't make me feel so sad when I listen to it, I would like it better and it would get a better position in my list. Still, such a good ballad.





4.- "Wake me up when September ends"- Green Day: Well, yeah, it's overplayed, overquoted and overposted on Facebook during the month of September, year after year, but that's my favourite month (can anyone guess why?) and I like the melody in this song. So there's one.



3.- "Bed of roses"- Bon Jovi: HELLO? I love Jon. He was so cute and adorable in Ally McBeal...  And I love Bon Jovi. And this song is such a good song. A legendary song.
(Now I'm considering re-watching Ally McBeal and probably go further than half 3rd season when Robert Downey Jr. goes away and breaks my heart...)



2.-"One"- Metallica: HAH! Did you think that I would go for "Nothing else matters?". That's also such a hit. But I like this one better, maybe because it's less known, so it feels more special. I don't know. And you might not think of this song as a ballad, but listen to the first 4 minutes! The combination of the slow rythm and the hard chorus... It's just excellent.




1.- "Kristy, are you doing okay?"- The Offspring: Just... THE OFFSPRING. They are superb, and live... just speechless. And this song gives me goosebumps. I hadn't listened to it for a while now, but I rescued my old YouTube playlist and when I heard it again I almost cried. This song very often brought tears to my eyes. And, YES, this is a ballad. If you know The Offspring, you might even think that they went too far in their cheesyness with this one, but I can't help but loving it.




Oh, golly, this was a tough one. So hard to choose. And I find it very strange that Foo Fighters is not in my top 5. Well, I can't just choose one of their songs, I guess.

Hopefully this post will have more participation than the last one in which I tried to get you guys to leave your ideas in the comments, the one called Worth of Words (in which you can still participate if you check it out!). So if you have any more rock/metal ballads you'd like me to know about, please, comment below! I will really enjoy reading your suggestions :)



1 comment:

  1. AGREED with all of the above, I contribute rooftops by lostprophets and little black submarines by the black keys :)

    ReplyDelete